Pumpkin Dressed Stuffing
Pumpkin Dressed Stuffing
Dress yourself in pumpkins.
There are many traditions during Thanksgiving that bring excitement to the season, but none are more enticing than the food-induced coma that comes from stuffing. Whether you call it stuffing in the North, dressing in the South or filling in a few Mennonite circles (which I learned from my husband’s Mennonite Brethren background), one thing is certain: stuffing is a requirement for Thanksgiving.
How do you dress up your stuffing? Depending upon the part of the country you enjoy the Holiday, you may find a cornbread-, sourdough-, rice-, and even a seafood-based stuffing alongside the traditional turkey.
Today’s recipe introduces our Pumpkin Dressed Stuffing – which brings together the best flavors of stuffing with a touch of the sweet goodness of a pumpkin. While we all want to stuff ourselves this season – this dish is useful in helping to control portions and provide a fun and attractive presentation.
To get started you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the Pumpkins:
4 – Mini pumpkins
Ground cinnamon (sprinkle)
Brown sugar (sprinkle)
Bari’s Tandori Olive Oil to drizzle
For the Stuffing:
¼ cup – Onion (chopped)
2 – Celery stalk (chopped)
1 – Granny Smith apple (peeled and cubed)
½ cup – Pecans (toasted and chopped)
½ cup – Dried cranberries
1 cup – Chicken stock
½ cup – Pork sausage
¼ cup – Heavy cream
Parsley fresh, chopped
Fresh thyme chopped
4 tablespoons – Bari’s Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (separated)
1 ½ cup – Bread for stuffing
Pepper and Salt (to taste)
Set Oven to 350 Degrees.
Step 1: Prepare the Pumpkins
- Remove cap of pumpkins
- Scrape the seeds
- Drizzle with Bari’s Tandori Olive Oil
- Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar to cover inside of pumpkin
- Place pumpkins into a shallow dish filled with a little bit of water in the bottom
- Bake: 30 minutes and set aside
Step 2: Prepare the Stuffing
- First Toast the Pecans (set aside)
- Then, heat up a skillet with Bari’s Organic Olive Oil and cook sausage until it is no longer pink (remove from skillet and set aside in a bowl)
- In the same skillet add 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Add onion and celery (cook for 5 minutes)
- Add apples.
- Add parsley, thyme, and cranberries
- Mix well and transfer to bowl with sausage.
- Add to bowl the bread cubes stock, heavy cream and mix with the stuffing.
- Add pepper and salt to taste
- Bake: Cover and cook in a shallow baking dish for 30 minutes at 350 degrees
Step 3: Combine
- Stuff the mini pumpkins with the mix and put back in the oven
- Bake: 15 minutes at 350 degrees